Friday, July 1, 2011

St. Louis Horror Convention Part 1

This past weekend was the second annual Con-Tamination, which is a Horror convention here in St. Louis. It was my boyfriends and my first conventions, so we really didn't know what to expect. As soon as we heard the line-up we had to go. The headliners for the conventions were Eric Roberts, The Boondock Saints, Kane Hodder, Tony Todd, Brad Loree, and Bill Johnson. (if you don't know who some of these people are I will explain what they have been in later) We were also excited because they were showing independent horror films and they had some artists, which allowed me to grow my art collection. The convention wasn't super big, but they had enough vendors that my boyfriend was like a kid in a candy store. We arrived after work on Friday, checked into the hotel, and went to go check out the vendors. Watching his reaction to the vendor room was priceless, first of all he was so excited that he would go up to one vendor then see something else and go to a different vendor, without fully looking at what one vendor had to offer. Finally, I said why don't we go up and down every aisle so we don't miss anything and that was when he realized how ridiculous he was being. This is even funnier when you realize that my boyfriend aka. Sasquatch is 28, which is 5 years older than me and 6'2'', while I'm only 5'5'' and I have to reel him in and calm him down, serious kid in candy store syndrome. We met some of the nicest people in the vendor room, first of all Tim and Harley from the Tim-o and Harley Show, they do a podcast show about horror related topics on http://infernaldreams.net/. They were funny and really cool guys to talk to and hang out with, so I'm sure their podcasts are awesome, I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but maybe today I will. Second, was Dick Starr an artist from Louisville, KY, his work is amazing and trust me because I am pretty picky being an artist myself. If you like horror related art or would love to see what it would look like if annoying celebrities were killed ironically check out his website http://www.dickstarr.net/.  For the Celebrity Deaths he has a whole story about how they died and he even has a poll where you can vote for the next celebrity that he will "kill" in his art. Sasquatch and I had to get the Freddy and Jason "Blood Brothers" family portrait, it may look like it was done with colored pencil, but it is actually done with acrylics, Sharpie Paint pens, and some Prismacolor markers pen, I just loved how detailed it was. Dick was awesome to talk to and very humble, we talked for a long time about his art, horror movies, awesome t-shirts, (because I got an awesome Jaws t-shirt from Tim and Harley) convention celebrities, and many other things.

179364_10Jul11_blood_brothers179364_10Jul11_bride

 


Another artist that we met was Johnny Bopp, his work is inspired by tiki and bright colors. I am a bright color person and I love The Creature from the Black Lagoon, so I had to own this. He also paints skateboards, if I could afford it I would have bought one for my walls. If you want to check out his work, his website is http://www.johnnybopp.com/

179364_10Jul11_creature                179364_10Jul11_eye                  179364_10Jul11_feathers      

I have so much more to talk about, but I think this post is pretty long already so I will post more later especially when I get my camera back from Sasquatch so I can post photos of him with the celebrities.
Love,
RobbinZombie

No comments:

Post a Comment