Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (Movie Review - Sort of)


When I heard that Don't be Afraid of the Dark was coming out, I was interested to see what it was about because I LOVE a good horror movie. Once I heard that Guillermo del Toro had something to do with it I knew I had to see it. Del Toro is known for directing, writing, and/or producing Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy I & II, and The Orphanage, just to name a few. I'm sure you can tell from some of my creations that I LOVED Hellboy I & II and if you have not seen The Orphanage you should, you do have to read subtitles, but trust me it is very good. Anyway back to Don't be Afraid of the Dark. From the previews I could tell that it had the same style and camera angles that del Toro loves to use and he wrote it so I knew it was going to be good. I know that it is a remake and I tend to shy away from remakes because sometimes they just suck, however I never saw the original Don't be Afraid of the Dark so I had nothing to compare it to. The story is different from the original and and think the idea is better, int he original the main character is a woman, where in the new one the main character is a child, which automatically makes the audience feel like a child stuck in a horror movie and can't get out, basically the movie makes you feel like a scared kid and that works. I loved the intro into the movie I love when they are introducing the writers and directors in the beginning and you see words and notes and photos flow through the background. This technique is being used more and more often and I love it because if you can read fast enough you will get a little insight, like in the beginning you can get a little insight into the creatures.

What I liked about the movie was you didn't have to wait until the end of the movie to finally see the creatures, del Toro showed a little bit of them at a time, until finally you saw them. I also loved the care he took with fairy lore. In fairy lore when you are in an area where fairies are located, that is identified with a circle made out of mushrooms. When I saw the circle of mushrooms I was excited because I wasn't sure if the were a type of fairy or just some crazy creature.

The actors were very good especially the little girl Bailee Madison. I am not a big fan of Katie Holmes, don't know why, but I'm just not, but her and Guy Pierce were awesome. I pretty much loved everything about this movie, the visuals, the story, the actors, the ending. I would definitely recommend it to anyone and especially to those who love horror movies.

This weekend Sasquatch and I are going to see Shark Night 3D (Love shark movies) interesting to see that it is NOT a Syfi channel original movie, but that it will actually hit theaters. So stay tuned for my thoughts on Shark Night 3D, oh and yes we are going to pay the $3 to see it in 3D and that excites me even more.

Love,
RobbinZombie

No comments:

Post a Comment